LaFHAC’s certified Housing Counselor offers free counseling to homeowners in the New Orleans area around a variety of post-purchase issues.
- Foreclosure prevention, delinquency and default counseling
- Budget and credit counseling
- Assistance negotiating with lenders for affordable forbearance plans, loan modifications, partial claims, loan payoffs and other loan repayment options
- Assistance negotiating with lenders to release insurance claim funds
- Assistance resolving disputes over escrow accounts, late fees, and improper credit reporting
- Attorney and refinancing referrals
- Assistance understanding the insurance claim process and insurance policies
- Document requests
- Attorney referrals for unresolved insurance claims
- Advising on the purchase of homeowners and flood insurance
Other Recovery Issues
- Contractor advice and assistance with Attorney General and Better Business Bureau complaints
- Homestead exemption and property tax advising
Forms & Checklists
Forms may be brought in during your appointment, faxed to 504-684-5685 or emailed to counselor [at] lafairhousing.org.
What are my options?
Download this PDF to learn about foreclosure prevention options.
Click to learn about lending discrimination and our campaign to avoid it. If you suspect that you have been a victim of a mortgage scam or unjustly denied a home loan, click HERE to file a discrimination complaint or call us at (504) 596-2100.